DETAILED SCORE BREAKDOWN
Price: 7 / 10
Features: 9 / 10
Comfort: 9 / 10
Design: 9 / 10
Warranty: 7 / 10
RATED 4.1 out of 5
Of all the corded devices we reviewed, this one was our favorite! It was by far the most gentle of the mid to high priced models. The unique 72 staggered, dual opposed tweezer heads did a wonderful job of removing hairs by the root instead of breaking them, which resulted with very few ingrown hairs while the lifting finger got the stubborn flat and short hairs to stand up.
Seeing how gentle this epilator was on the skin it would be a great candidate for beginners. The biggest downside of this device was the fact that it is corded and cannot be used in the shower or with gel, cream or foam.
Read our full review below!
We have broken our review up into five sections that highlight the different area of concern when purchasing an epilator: Price, Features, Comfort, Design and Warranty.
The Emjoi Emagine is in the mid to high price range of all the models we reviewed. It has a MSRP of $119.95 but typically can be found for much less online or on sale in stores. The value is found in all of the advanced features included on this model.
- 72 tweezer heads: By having a higher number of tweezing heads it removes hair quicker and more comfortably than other devices by reducing the number of rotations needed to remove the same amount of hair resulting in less irritation.
- Antimicrobial Protection: The first epilator in the world to use a silver-ion technology to prevent infection.
- Dual opposed staggered heads: The unique design and arrangement of the tweezing heads prevent ingrown hairs.
- Lifting fingers: Middle lifting fingers lift flat and short hairs to ensure an even and full shave.
- Dual Speed: Multiple speeds allow for comfortable use all over the body.
- Corded operation only: The AP-18 is a corded use only device so there are no batteries to replace or charge, however you can only use it dry.
Unlike the cheaper priced corded models we reviewed, the Emjoi is actually very comfortable to use. It was far less painful than we had expected. Holding and using the device is comfortable in the hand but more importantly it is far more gentle on the skin. One of the major setbacks when using is the cord. Sometimes the cord can get tangled up around your body making it difficult to reach certain areas. Also due to it being a dry operation unit if you are used to using a foam, gel or cream while epilating it may be less comfortable for you.
We really wanted to give this one a 10 out of 10 in the design department, however since it is corded and dry use only we just could not. The construction of this model is rock solid and the thought and features built in show that this company has really put the research and testing into the Emagine line of epilators. The ‘lifting fingers’ are really good at getting those stubborn flat hairs to stand up, while the staggered dual opposed heads maje sure to pull the hairs out from the root and not break them resulting in nearly zero ingrown hairs.
Emjoi offers a fairly generous no hassle warranty on materials and craftsmanship for the period of one year from the date of purchase. Simply return the unit to their returns department within the one year period and they will either repair or replace it at their discretion. You will have to cover shipping to them but they will cover the return shipping. As with typical warranties, it does not cover accidents, mis-use, abuse, improper care, etc.